Saturday, December 25, 2010

25.12.10.......oh, come all ye unfaithful


It's probably pretty obvious at this point, but I haven't been updating this blog much because I've been putting a lot of effort into the wecraftindarkness blog. Plus, talking on here feels like going to confession....not that I know what that feels like, but one can only assume.


I think 2010 worked out pretty well in my little household. I had a large amount of time off from touring and was able to really enjoy the city I live in. Though a large portion of my days and nights were spent in a kitchen, the rest of the time was filled with family adventures (wife and son/dog) to the (dog)park and all around happiness.


But, unquestionably, the best thing to happen in 2010 to me is my wife quitting her job. She didn't want to be there. It wasn't her future and, thankfully, I was able to assist in her coming to terms with that.

It was in April, following our tag team defeat of strep throat. She didn't want to go back. I told her not to. She told me to shut up (jokingly). I told her I meant it. We took it from there.

So, it's not so much that she quit her job as much as what she was able to do after.


She's always wanted to be a vet. Now that she flushed the 9 to 5 away, it was time. When she enrolled, I couldn't have been happier. She was finally doing what she felt she should be doing. The initial fear of hers involved household things (rent, bills, etc.), to which I quickly put a squash to. I may make nothing working at a bar, but I can damn well keep us afloat. She still did part time work, which was more than enough to eliminate concern.

Not that I'm ever going to be considered a sugar daddy (or even close....), but the hope of someday being somewhat of a provider has always been something I've wanted for myself. I think this is the closest I'll ever get to being one, and it's enough to make me feel pretty damn good.

More importantly than all of that, however, is the feeling of watching someone having an ultimate goal start to become fully realized. There are people that want something and there are people that WANT something. Smashley Jean McKenney falls into the latter. I have never, ever in my life seen someone so dedicated to advanced education. From weeks before the first semester began, her nose was already in books, literally surrounding her on the couch. Maybe it was because I disliked schooling so much, but studying and homework never worked for me. It could have been the ADD, also, but whatever. Being an onlooker at her process was mindblowing. Monday through Friday, she'd wake up at 7am, drive to school, and then be home around 1pm. There was a time frame after she walked in the door which was about 45 minutes. In those 45 minutes, I'd make her lunch and she'd hang out with the dog. Once that time was up, it was right back to school mode. Books open, head down, glasses on, pen in hair or ear or hand. It was like my own personal hot librarian, and if I was too loud, I'd even get a "Shhh!!!".

Those books stayed open until bed time. No fucking joke. Most nights she fell asleep on the couch with her face stuck to the pages. What I'm getting at is that I have an unparalleled respect and admiration for, both, what she's doing and how she's doing it. There has never been a second of half-assing her way through any of it. I helped when I could, quizzing her on the spelling and vocab tests. But, besides that, the best I could do was make her breakfast, lunch and dinner and take the dog for his walks so she could focus.

Every time she came home with good news about a test or being chosen to sit in on surgeries (ahem....first in her class....ahem), I felt this overwhelming feeling of pride and excitement for her. Every little part of what she's doing gives me that pride and excitement. I'm watching someone's aspirations become a reality and I get to be the husband / cheerleader.

We're both doing what we've wanted to do and that's rare. The chances of those two people being in a marriage together makes it even more special.

She started her externship this week......right across the street from where we live. The vet hospital was her first choice and they scooped her up with open arms. Within days, she had already proven her worth.


....and that's the best thing to happen to me this year. A great marriage, the chance to be a provider / family man, and the privilege of watching my wife be absolutely amazing at something I could never do.

Eat shit, daily grind and pipe dreams. Smashley Jean is fucking your shit all up....I'll be the one in the background laughing and pointing.


That's about it. It's five in the morning on Christmas and I can't sleep. I figured that this time was about as good as any to update this little confession booth.


Things as of late:


Audio:

Slave - Demo 2010

Every Time I Die - New Junk Aesthetic

Massive Attack - Mezzanine, 100th Window, Heligoland

Adele - 19

GDP - Magic Bullet EP

Motown Christmas 2xCD

Tear It Up - Taking You Down With Me

The Explosion - Flash, Flash, Flash

Cast Iron Hike - Watch it Burn

Adem - Love and Other Planets

Funkdoobiest - Brothas Doobie

The Black Hand - Pulling Your Strings EP

Defeater - Lost Ground


Video:

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Elf

The Town

The A-Team

The Office seasons 1-4

Kick-Ass

X-Files: I Want to Believe

Gremlins

Cinderella Man


Currently reading: Tracy Morgan's "I Am the New Black"......and it's horrible. I'm so bummed.


I'm going to go bake muffins and drink coffee while I watch stupid parades.

No comments: